Holly Peters Hirst
Professor of Mathematics
and Math MA Program Co-Director
Please follow the links above to find out about me. I may be contacted at:
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Boone, NC 28608
shipping address: 121 Bodenheimer Drive #327 (UPS/FedEx)
physical location: 327 Walker Hall
Spring 2019 Schedule
I am teaching MAT 4340/5340 Operations Research this spring, along with a TA supported section of MAT 1010 Introduction to Mathematics. Students should check ASULearn for more information about these courses. I am usually on campus Monday through Friday from 9 to 5.
My "drop in" office hours are Monday/Wednesday/Friday 11-1, and Wednesday/Thursday 3-4. If you need to see me outside of class or office hours you should make an appointment. Email is the best way to contact me if I am not in my office.
- co-director for the mathematics graduate program with Ross Gosky
- co-editor for The Centroid, the Journal of the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics with Debbie Crocker
- webmaster for the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ncctm.org)
- mathematics editor for the Journal of Computational Science Education (JOCSE)
- member of the board for ACM Special Interest Group on HPC Education
- member of the board for the Shodor Education Foundation
- member of Appalachian's Arts and Cultural Programs Committee
- chair of Appalachian's Scholarship Advisory Committee
I have served on the Mathematical Association of America's Committee on the Mathematical Education of Teachers (COMET) from 2009 through 2014, and on the Education Committees and as coordinator for the Mathematics Workshop sessions for Super Computing 2011 (SC11) and Super Computing 2010 (SC10). I also served as regional coordinator for the Mathematical Association of America's Preparing Mathematicians to Educate Teachers (PMET) initiative and as co-PI on the NSF funded National Computational Science Institute and Shodor Computational Science Institute. I also help when I can with Project Interactivate and other mathematics and computational science initiatives at The Shodor Education Foundation.
I served from 2005 through 2013 as the Associate Dean in the Cratis Williams Graduate School, during which time I was responsible for and supervised staff in graduate recruiting, admissions, assistantships, and records. In that capacity I served on many University committees and as secretary for the North Carolina Conference of Graduate Schools.
I am married to Dr. Jeff Hirst, also a professor of mathematics at Appalachian. We both love mathematics, cooking, music, science fiction, traveling (especially to St. John USVI) and living in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. We share our home with our four furry children: June, Remi, Henry, and CC (clockwise from left).