Brian W. Zimmer
Department of Geology, Appalachian State University
114 Rankin South, Boone, NC 28607
Phone: (828) 262-2749, Fax: (828) 262-6503
Zimmer, B.W., Riggs, N.R., Carrasco-Nuñez, G., 2010. Evolution of a tuff ring –
dome complex; case study of Cerro Pinto, eastern Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt,
Bulletin of Volcanology DOI: 10.1007/s00445-010-0391-6
Abella, S.R. and Zimmer, B.W., 2007. Estimating organic carbon from loss-on-ignition in
Northern Arizona Forest Soils, Soil Science Society of America Journal. 71: 545-
Zimmer, B.W. and Miyake, Y., 2007. Research Report; Yakedake Volcano. Japan
Society for the Promotion of Science. Tokyo, Japan. 3; 212-216.
- Hewitt, S., Zimmer, B.W., Liutkus, C., Carmichael S.K., and McGinnis, K., Field-mapping and petrographic analysis of volcanoes surrounding the Lake Natron Homo sapiens footprint site, northern Tanzania. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Dec. 2010.
- Zimmer, B.W., and Miyake, Y., Effusion and collapse, pyroclastic-flow forming lava flows. Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Symposium, Tokyo, June, 2006.
- Zimmer, B.W., Riggs, N.R., and Carrasco-Nuñez, G. Evolution of Cerro Pinto dome complex, Puebla, Mexico. Cities on Volcanoes 4, Jan. 2006.
- Zimmer, B.W., Riggs, N.R., and Carrasco-Nuñez, G. Eruptive variations during the emplacement of Cerro Pinto dome complex, an ambitious rhyolite dome. American Geophysical Union Fall meeting, Dec. 2006.
- Riggs, N.R., Duffield, W.A., Zimmer, B.W., and Cashman, C. Conduit changes and eruptive styles at Red Mountain cinder cone, AZ, USA. American Geophysical Union Fall meeting, Dec. 2006.
- Riggs, NR, Carrasco-Nuñez, G, andZimmer, BW, 2006, Life spans of rhyolite domes: short- or long-term hazards?: Cities on Volcanoes Meeting, Quito, Ecuador, 1/2006.
- M.S. (2007) Geology, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ.
-Thesis: Evolutionary history of Cerro Pinto dome complex, Puebla, Mexico.
- B.S. (2003) Geology & History, Allegheny College, Meadville, PA. GPA: 3.48 (Cum Laude)
- Honors Project: Cation exchange capacity in northern hardwood spodosols.
Relevant Professional Work Experience:
- Lecturer of Geology, (08/2008 – Present) Department of Geology, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC.
Environmental and Applied Geology Lecture 1103
First Year Seminar: A Walk in the Woods
Physical Geology Lab 1101
Environmental and Applied Geology Lab 1103
Water: Mountains to Sea Lab 1104
Historical Geology Lab 1102
- Teaching Assistant, (1/2005 – 5/2007) Department of Geology, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ.
Introduction to Geology Lab
Historical Geology Lab
Online Intro to Geology Lab
- Research Associate, (2/2004 – 12/2005) Ecological Restoration Institute, Flagstaff, AZ.
- Research Assistant, (5/2002 – 10/2003) Department of Soil Ecology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
Honors / Awards:
- Board of Trustees Research Grant, Appalachian State University, 2010.
- National Science Foundation, East Asia Pacific Summer Institute (EAPSI) Fellowship. June – August, 2006.
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship, Tokyo, Japan. June, 2006.
- Honorable Mention, Top Senior Composition, Allegheny College, 2003
- Academic Team All-American (Cross-country and track, 2002-2003)
- Geology Department Recruitment Committee (Aug 2009 – present)
- Geology Department Infrastructure Committee (Aug 2009 – present)
- Faculty Advisor – Appalachian State Juggling Club (Sept 2009 – present)
- Overseer of all things GeoWall – ASU (2007 – present)
- Organizer – Spring Sustainability Film Series (Fall 2009 – present)
- Panel Member, National Science Foundation, East Asia Pacific Summer Institute (EAPSI) Program. 2007 & 2010, Washington, DC.