Appalachian’s Graduate Certificate in Elementary Mathematics Education is designed for in-service elementary education teachers who wish to work toward an endorsement in mathematics. The program leads to the N.C. Elementary Mathematics Add-On Licensure for persons who hold the initial or master’s-level Elementary Education license.
Coursework helps teachers deepen their understanding of mathematics, the processes of learning mathematics, and children’s mathematical thinking in order to be strong mathematics teachers.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification in North Carolina. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at App State at email@example.com or 828-262-7559.
Required Entrance Exam: None
Supplemental Information: Resume (Required upload for application submission); proof of teacher licensure
Basic Conditions for Consideration of Admission: Meeting or exceeding the conditions below does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages. With special permission from the Graduate School, a program may admit a limited number of students with exceptional circumstances who do not meet the graduate school minimums.
Graduate School: 3.0 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores from the appropriate admission test(s), OR 2.5 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores at the 25th percentile level from the appropriate admission test(s).
Admission to Elementary Mathematics Education Graduate Certificate: Both qualitative and quantitative aspects of applications are reviewed in comparison to the current applicant pool.
Graduates are working at these and other employers:
- Public Schools
- Private Schools
- Charter Schools
- Spring: x
- Summer Session 1: x
- Summer Session 2: x
- Fall: x
This program is not accepting applications this year.
- Appalachian has been training quality educators for more than 100 years and is accredited by the Council for Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can obtain initial and advanced licensure in your field of study.
- Appalachian offers varied delivery modes to meet the needs of students.
- Programs are offered on campus, off campus and online.
- Class sizes are small and taught by faculty with K-12 experience.
- An advanced degree may provide pathways to educational opportunities and new positions.
On campus and online
- Elementary classroom teacher
- Elementary mathematics specialist
Dr. Chrystal Dean