The 18-hour Online Learning and Professional Development Certificate is an online program that offers students the opportunity to gain technical, aesthetic and intellectual skills and perspectives to analyze and develop online learning and professional development pedagogies and environments.
The program of study engages the learner in varied learning environments and local and global learning communities. Particular emphasis is placed on instructional design, technological tools for the creation, hosting and delivery of online content, and the assessment of online learning/training and professional development solutions. The ethical and social issues involved in distance learning will also be examined.
This certificate does not lead to North Carolina Licensure. It is ideal for those who want the content but already have a master’s degree. It also allows students to preview Appalachian’s Master of Arts in Educational Media degree program.
Required Entrance Exam: None
Required number of references to specify in the online form: None
Supplemental Information: Resume (Required upload for application submission)
Graduates are working at these and other employers:
- Healthcare industries
- Business and Industry
- K-12 schools and central offices
- Community colleges (instructors, support personnel, administrators)
- Universities (instructors, support personnel, administrators)
- Communications industries
- For-profit education companies
- Non-profit organizations
- Spring: 11/1
- Summer Session 1: 4/1
- Summer Session 2: x
- Fall: 7/1
*See full deadline information below under Application Essentials.
- This innovative certificate is designed to meet the evolving needs of the field.
- The program uses a hybrid of delivery systems, including 3D virtual worlds.
- You will learn from faculty in Appalachian’s renowned Reich College of Education who are experts in teaching and learning.
- All graduate programs at Appalachian have small class sizes, providing intimate classroom interaction.
- The School of Graduate Studies offers scholarships, fellowships and assistantships to support eligible, full-time, degree-seeking students.
Method of Delivery
- Instructional Designer
- Instructional Technology Specialist
- Distance Education Manager/Supervisor
- Director of Instructional Technology or Distance Education
- Educational/Training Specialist
- Social Media Manager
- Web Designer
- CMS/LMS Manager
- Instructional Support Specialist
- Graphic Artist
- Video Developer
- Media Manager
- Online Specialist/Manager
- Media Manager/Specialist
- Media Developer
- Global Learning Specialist
- Computer Educator
- Curriculum Specialist
Dr. Amy Cheney