Appalachian’s Strategic Communication Certificate is an online, 15‐hour program offering a depth and breadth of communication competencies related to messaging expertise. The certificate attracts working professionals from healthcare, communication, business and other fields, as well as graduate students in other master’s programs who want to enhance their communication skills.
Strategic communication is a specific form of communication focused on the accomplishment of organizational goals. It includes coordination of a communication plan and a focus on consistency in messaging. Strategic communication experts are desired by employers in a variety of industries, including corporate, nonprofit and governmental agencies.
Supplemental Information: Resume (Required upload for application submission)
- Spring: 11/1
- Summer Session 1: 4/1
- Fall: 7/1
- The certificate is fully online and is designed for students to complete in one year.
- Courses cover what employers say they need – including Strategic Communication, Communication Conflict Management, Advanced Crisis Communication, Advanced Organizational Communication, and Task‐Oriented Group Facilitation Methods.
- References and test scores are NOT required.
- The program is housed in Appalachian’s Department of Communication, which has a strong alumni network.
- All graduate programs at Appalachian have small class sizes, providing intimate classroom interaction.
- The School of Graduate Studies offers scholarships, fellowships and assistantships to support eligible, full-time, degree-seeking students.
Method of Delivery
- Strategic Communication Director
- Strategic Communication Consultant
- Communication Director
- Corporate Communication Manager
- Strategic Relationship Director
- Communications Specialist
- Director of Social Media
- As well as various management and communication positions in areas such as business, healthcare, human resources and education.
Dr. Ed Brewer