Appalachian State University in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina offers incredible preparation for life and career success. We’re a special combination of people and place, set in one of the country’s most beautiful scenic locations – the perfect setting to strengthen your academic focus, discover your passions, enhance your leadership skills and take the next step in your life’s journey.
More Than a Location
Our beautiful setting in the Blue Ridge Mountains is more than a location – it profoundly shapes how our community lives, works and learns together. Our commitment to sustainability is a tradition, not a trend, and Appalachian is an active steward of North Carolina’s interconnected financial, cultural and natural resources.
This commitment shows in many ways, including our tuition rates, textbook rental program, commitment to energy efficiency, economic viability and equitable citizenship. Because of this and much more, Appalachian ranks No. 5 out of 610 schools in MyPlan.com's 2017 student rankings for "Overall Satisfaction & Happiness with Choice."
Comprehensive Degree Offerings
Appalachian offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate degree programs through its College of Arts and Sciences, College of Fine and Applied Arts, Reich College of Education, Walker College of Business, Hayes School of Music, Beaver College of Health Sciences and Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies. Appalachian also offers a doctorate of education.
Appalachian encourages opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research projects alongside their professors. Their work is showcased during the annual Celebration of Student Research and Creative Endeavors held on campus as well as at professional conferences in the region and across the United States.
A Bachelor’s-to-Master’s Plan that Makes Sense
Many of our undergraduate students choose to build upon their undergraduate work, while saving tuition dollars, with Appalachian’s accelerated admissions program. It allows undergraduate students to enroll in graduate courses during their senior year and earn both a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree from Appalachian in about 5 years.
Appalachian offers more than 70 graduate degree and certificate programs, which prepare our students for success in the work force as well as in life. At Appalachian, we like to say that “Masters Matter,” and our graduate students agree. Under the mentorship of their professors, our graduate students often conduct primary research, are published and present at professional conferences.
A Sustainable Mission
Appalachian’s leadership in sustainability is known nationally. Our three-branched approach asks us to consider if actions are sustainable economically, environmentally and equitably in relationship to our planet’s co-inhabitants. These three areas often intersect to create a deep and real sustainability. Such commitment to research, creativity, innovation and practice is making a difference now and for our future.
Community and Civic Engagement
Appalachian is recognized nationally in the areas of community and civic engagement and service-learning. The intersection of classroom learning and real-world experience is a powerful combination. This work sets us apart from other institutions and leads us all to value how our lives, no matter our professions, can become more meaningful by serving others. Appalachian’s commitment to service is evidenced across campus and beyond, which led to a recent community engagement classification by the Carnegie Foundation.
Student Health and Safety
A safe and healthy environment is key to our students’ ability to focus on their education and all the experiences that will positively shape a transformational Appalachian Experience. Appalachian’s tradition of caring for students is a deep and broad commitment – one that extends throughout our entire community.
It’s not enough to be globally aware anymore. At Appalachian, our students are engaging in multiple and varied experiences – both at home and abroad – to increase their knowledge of global issues, regions and cultures, improve their intercultural skills, and demonstrate global citizenship.
Enrollment, Fall 2018 (preliminary)
- 19,108 total
- 17,381 undergraduate (main campus and distance)
- 1,727 graduate (main campus and distance)
- 1,278 new transfer students (main campus)
- 3,445 first-time freshmen
- 1,320 total distance education
- 16.2% racially and ethnically underrepresented*
- 17,421 in state
- 1,687 out of state, or 8.8%
* Combined percentage of students who self-identify as Hispanic of any race; American Indian or Alaska Native; Black or African American; Asian; Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, Two or more races; or are Nonresident Alien. This percentage is taken from the total number of students who elect to report their racial and/or ethnic identities, as well as Nonresident Alien students. Actual counts may be higher, as some students choose not to report their race or ethnicity.
- 16:1 student/faculty ratio
- 27 - average class size
- 6 undergraduate colleges, 1 music school, and 1 graduate school
- 99% of full-time faculty have doctorate, first professional degree, or other terminal degree
- More than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors
- 87.2% freshman retention rate, compared to the national average of 68% (Fall 2017 first-year cohort returning for Fall 2018, preliminary)
- 53% four-year graduation rate (Fall 2013 first-year cohort)
- 73.3% six-year graduation rate (Fall 2012 first-year cohort, preliminary)
Buildings & campus
- 1,200 acres, with 375 developed
- 30 academic buildings
- 210,000-square-foot library
- 1 loft in New York City
- 20 residence halls, housing about 5,600 students on campus
- 3 main dining facilities
- 11 recreational and athletic facilities
Appalachian State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, master's, intermediate and doctoral degrees.
- 20 varsity sports
- More than 20 club sports
- more than 80 ways to participate in intramural sports
- 126,000 living alumni from all 50 states and many countries across the globe.
UNC System Data Dashboard
An interactive, online database that gives expanded access to detailed system data.