Appalachian State University’s beautiful setting in the Blue Ridge Mountains is more than a location. It profoundly shapes how our community lives, works and learns together.
Boone embodies “college town” in the best sense — a place where people say hello on the street and a vibrant downtown is just a block from campus. This may be the career destination you’ve been looking for.
Join the faculty and staff at Appalachian
View open positions at App State, create online applications and apply for positions. Get started now.
Why work at Appalachian State University?
At Appalachian, we believe in the power of community. This is evident in our mission, vision and values. Our commitment to sustainability shows in our classrooms, our operations and our community. This commitment to environmental preservation, as well as economic and social equity, means we are working toward a more just and sustainable future for all.
Embracing Diversity of Thought, Belief and Community
At Appalachian, we are committed to fostering a community culture that is a microcosm of and responsive to the beliefs, identities, practices and values needed for constructive engagement in our increasingly global community. In this spirit of inclusion, we value diversity of thought, belief and community as essential to the interdisciplinary approach to education, as well as to the greater life experience.
Learn basic facts about App State, including location, enrollment, costs, sustainability, research, service-learning and more.
What’s in App’s future?
We’re enhancing the Appalachian Experience — with a stronger physical infrastructure and five-year goals that further empower human potential. Get the full picture through a new, special website detailing our growth and change.
Are you an App student looking for a job on or off campus? Appalachian offers assistance in finding employment for students on campus, career development resources for those getting ready to graduate, and job fair opportunities for employers who are looking for critical thinkers and creative problem solvers. Find information and resources here.
Finding your way to and around campus:
About the area:
Resources and Support:
- Counseling for Faculty and Staff
- Faculty and Academic Development
- Health Promotion for Faculty and Staff
- Office of Disability Resources
- Professional Development and Employee Tuition Assistance
- Perks and Discounts for Appalachian Employees
- Relocation and Dual Career Assistance
- Support for Families with Special Needs
Find out about health insurance, types of leave, domestic partner benefits and more.
About our culture
- Peterson’s recognizes App State as top-20 school for outdoor enthusiasts
- Top 8 Renewable Energy Colleges You Didn’t Know About
- Alumni survey highlights the value of a UNC System education
- Strong military connections and support for student veterans
- Campus sustainability efforts at Appalachian are a ‘win-win-win,’ garner Appalachian top rankings from AASHE and SIERRA magazine
Accolades for Boone, North Carolina
- Southern Living’s “South’s Best College Towns”
- National Geographic Adventure magazine’s “Best Places to Live and Play”
- Outside magazine’s top 10 “Best Towns in America”
- USA Today’s “10 Great Small Towns with Huge Backyards”
- U.S. News & World Report’s “10 Best Places to Retire in the U.S.”
- Matador Network’s “25 Coolest Towns in America: 2018"
- TripAdvisor’s “Hidden Gems: 13 U.S. Towns That Are Diamonds in the Rough”
- Trips To Discover's "6 Most Charming Downtown Areas in North Carolina"
News and Events at Appalachian
Read Appalachian Today for stories on the people and programs that make up Appalachian’s campus culture.
Who is Yosef?
The university mascot is Yosef, which is mountain talk for "yourself.” If you are an Appalachian graduate, fan or friend and have a heart filled with black and gold, you are Yosef.