Appalachian State University’s Strategic Plan 2022-2027 — “Empowering Human Potential through the Appalachian Experience” — addresses:
- our fundamental purpose of teaching, research and service;
- our key pillars of sustainability, resilience and diversity of thought, belief and community; and
- our priority to invest in our employees.
For each of the plan’s strategic priorities, metrics, benchmarks and procedures will be utilized to assess impact, and annual updates will communicate the overall impact. Assessment tools will include a universitywide financial plan, climate action plan, strategic plan for the research/creative endeavors enterprise, diversity, equity and inclusion plan, and a comprehensive fundraising campaign.
App State’s University Planning and Priorities Council (UPPC) developed this strategic plan, which will guide the university through the next five years. UPPC is a group of nearly 60 individuals representing faculty and staff from every college and division, and includes the leaders of Faculty Senate, Staff Senate and the Student Government Association (SGA) and Graduate Student Senate.
Listening sessions open to the entire campus community were held in November 2021, followed by meetings with constituent groups that included Faculty Senate, Staff Senate, SGA and Alumni Council. Feedback from these listening sessions was incorporated into the plan, and it was again shared with campus for feedback in spring 2022. The final version was presented to and approved by the App State Board of Trustees in June 2022.
The process to develop the 2022-2027 Strategic Plan was a comprehensive, transparent and collective effort that allowed everyone who wanted a voice in the process to have one.
Providing Exceptional Educational Experiences
Provide all students with inspirational learning experiences that foster student success and add demonstrated value to their investment in higher education.
- Deliver innovative, relevant academic programs.
- Foster teaching excellence.
- Expand experiential learning.
- Support co-curricular learning experiences that augment classroom learning.
- Leverage technology to support teaching and learning.
Advancing Research, Innovation and Creativity
Advance knowledge and promote discovery and the application of findings that benefit our region, state, nation and world.
- Cultivate undergraduate scholarship.
- Elevate graduate programs.
- Prioritize areas of identified excellence.
- Maximize support for scholarly and creative activities.
- Amplify transformative partnerships.
Advancing Local, Regional and Global Engagement
Foster lasting economic vitality through local, regional and global engagement.
- Foster student career readiness.
- Collaborate with external stakeholders in Western North Carolina.
- Expand educational access to rural and underserved communities.
- Promote local and global civic engagement.
Advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Cultivate and support a welcoming university community and an academic culture of collaboration and respect through education and inclusive practices.
- Advance scholarship related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ensure equitable opportunities for student success and well-being.
- Integrate inclusive educational practices into educational and professional development.
- Identify and remove barriers to the success of historically underrepresented faculty, staff and students.
- Provide resources to the entire campus community that help infuse a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Investing in Faculty and Staff Excellence
Dedicate and ensure ongoing resources to recruit, retain and support exceptionally talented faculty and staff.
- Emphasize innovative recruitment and retention strategies.
- Identify and invest in ongoing and clear paths for career advancement.
- Incentivize employee innovation and collaboration.
- Foster a team-oriented community of employees committed to quality of life and work.
Strengthen Resilience and Sustainability
Strengthen our culture of sustainability that protects and supports the physical environment, the well-being of people, the university’s economic vitality, and the resilience of our campus community.
- Expand the integration of sustainability throughout the curriculum and through co-curricular experiences beyond the classroom.
- Galvanize business and operational practices that prioritize sustainability and resilience initiatives.
- Identify and support resilience and sustainability initiatives that complement the university’s strategic priorities.
Strategic Plan 2022-2027
What does the future hold for App State? Read the university’s strategic plan for 2022-2027, titled “Empowering Human Potential through the Appalachian Experience,” to learn more about the six strategic priorities that will guide App State through the next five years.
Download Strategic Plan 2022-2027 (3M)
Bridge Strategic Plan 2021-2022
App State’s Bridge Strategic Plan 2021-2022 served as a roadmap to strengthen our efforts in pursuit of a shared vision and was designed to help us emerge a better university. Learn more
Strategic Plan 2014-2019
App State’s strategic plan for 2014-2019, titled “The Appalachian Experience: Envisioning a just and sustainable future,” served as a recognition of App State’s primary focus — to transform the lives of our students. Learn more