Offered within Appalachian’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling program, the Addiction Counseling Certificate is designed to provide specialized education in addictions counseling for bachelor-level professionals working with substance abuse clients and for currently enrolled students in master’s degree programs in counseling or related fields at Appalachian.
The certificate program, upon completion, prepares you to pursue appropriate supervision toward North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board (NCSAPPB) credentials.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification in North Carolina. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at App State at email@example.com or 828-262-7559.
Required Entrance Exam: None
Required number of references to specify in the online form: None
Supplemental Information: Resume (Required upload for application submission); HPC Department Questionnaire (upload on the Additional Information page in the on-line application)
Basic Conditions for Consideration of Admission: Meeting or exceeding the conditions below does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages.
Graduates are working at these and other employers:
- Treatment Centers
- Private Counseling Practices
- Veterans Administration
- Community Mental Health Centers
- Non-Profit Agencies
- Spring: 11/1
- Fall: 7/1
- The program supports you as you learn more about who you are and your ability to encourage and support others.
- Students become active in professional organizations such as the American Counseling Association and the North Carolina Counseling Association.
- The program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), a specialized accrediting body.
- All graduate programs at Appalachian have small class sizes, providing intimate classroom interaction.
- The School of Graduate Studies offers scholarships, fellowships and assistantships to support eligible, full-time, degree-seeking students.
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist
- Nationally Certified Counselor
- Expressive Arts Therapist
Dr. Mark Schwarze