The number of people diagnosed with autism is increasing. Educators need current information, strategies and support in using evidence-based practices in schools and communities. Appalachian’s Autism Graduate Certificate is a post-baccalaureate program that prepares educators to meet the range of individual needs of people with a label of autism spectrum disorders.
The program provides participants with research-based methods, communication techniques, and skills in teaching students with autism spectrum disorders, along with proficiency in individualizing instruction and treatment.
Required Entrance Exam: None
Required number of references to specify in the online form: None
Supplemental Information: Resume (Required upload for application submission).
Graduates are working at these and other employers:
- Public and private schools across North Carolina and the U.S.
- Social and human service agencies
- Textbook editors
- Colleges and universities
- Spring: 11/1
- Summer Session 1: 4/1
- Summer Session 1: 4/1 (off-campus)
- Summer Session 2: 4/1
- Fall: 7/1
- The Special Education program, which houses this certificate, has a strong reputation among employers and graduates are readily hired by public and private schools across the country.
- Students engage in meaningful professional relationships with faculty.
- Classes are small, and the program emphasizes opportunities for research and applied field-based projects.
- This certificate is an excellent add-on to the MA in Reading Education or the MA in Special Education, allowing for expanded learning and marketability.
- All graduate programs at Appalachian have small class sizes, providing intimate classroom interaction.
- The School of Graduate Studies offers scholarships, fellowships and assistantships to support eligible, full-time, degree-seeking students.
Off campus currently not available
- Teacher in public or private school setting
- ESL Teacher
- Adjunct Professor
- Child Development Center Director
- Child Development Specialist
- Director of Special Education
- Educational Diagnostician
Dr. Woody Trathen