Dealing with challenging behaviors is one of the most difficult parts of teaching and one of the primary reasons high-quality teachers leave the profession. Furthermore, many teachers and school districts request ongoing professional development in behavioral intervention. The focus of this graduate certificate is to prepare teachers to work with students who demonstrate challenging behaviors. Among those students with challenging behaviors, many are identified as having an emotional and behavioral disorder (EBD).
In this graduate certificate, educational professionals will be provided with a holistic and comprehensive approach to working with students identified with EBD and those at risk for behavioral difficulties. Topics covered within this certificate include classroom management for effective instruction, relationship-based approaches, effective delivery of academic interventions, and intensive behavioral assessment and interventions.
Required Entrance Exam: None
Required number of references to specify in the online form: None
Supplemental Information: Resume (Required upload for application submission).
Graduates are working at these and other employers:
- Public and private schools across North Carolina and the U.S.
- Social and human service agencies
- Textbook editors
- Colleges and universities
- Spring: 11/1
- Summer Session 1: 4/1
- Summer Session 2: 4/1
- Fall: 7/1
- The Special Education program, which houses this certificate, has a strong reputation among employers and graduates are readily hired by public and private schools across the country.
- Students engage in meaningful professional relationships with faculty.
- Classes are small, and the program emphasizes opportunities for research and applied field-based projects.
- This certificate is an excellent add-on to the MA in Reading Education or the MA in Special Education, allowing for expanded learning and marketability.
- All graduate programs at Appalachian have small class sizes, providing intimate classroom interaction.
- The School of Graduate Studies offers scholarships, fellowships and assistantships to support eligible, full-time, degree-seeking students.
- Teacher in public or private school setting
- ESL Teacher
- Adjunct Professor
- Child Development Center Director
- Child Development Specialist
- Director of Special Education
- Educational Diagnostician
Dr. Christopher Van Loan