Please note that the information on this page is updated as new information is available, and as CDC, state and local public health guidance changes. For the latest information, please check back regularly.
COVID-19 is spread through droplets when an infected person speaks, coughs or sneezes. Face coverings are required in all indoor spaces on campus for students, faculty, staff and visitors, regardless of vaccination status. There are a very few exceptions, which are outlined below.
App State requirements
The university’s face coverings policy is being reviewed and will be updated based on the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance. Read the face coverings policy here.
Face coverings are required in all indoor spaces on campus for students, faculty, staff and visitors, regardless of vaccination status, unless:
- You are alone in a private, enclosed residence hall room, apartment or office.
- You are in an enclosed indoor space when only household members are present.
- You are actively eating or drinking.
Additionally, face coverings are required in shared university vans and motor pool vehicles, regardless of vaccination status.
Additional guidance for faculty
- Fully vaccinated faculty may pull their face covering down while actively teaching.
- Unvaccinated faculty should continue to wear a face covering.
- Face shields and clear face masks are being provided to departments upon request for any faculty member who wishes to use one while actively teaching, regardless of vaccination status.
- If you have concerns about student compliance with university COVID policies, review additional guidance, information and resources from the Office of Student Conduct.
- If you have concerns about faculty or staff compliance with university COVID policies, submit a care and concern report.
- Read the university’s Campus COVID Response Concerning Vaccination Status.
- Read the university’s COVID Classroom Policies.
- Find additional COVID-19 guidance and resources for faculty from Academic Affairs
Free, reusable face coverings available to students, faculty and staff
Students, faculty and staff can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request free, reusable face coverings. You may also pick them up at these locations:
- Parking and Transportation office in the Rivers Street Parking Deck.
- Information Desks at the Plemmons Student Union.
- Campus Services Express desk on the second floor of the University Bookstore.
Disposable face coverings will also be available for classrooms, and in academic departments and public areas throughout campus.
CDC guidance for fully vaccinated individuals
The CDC’s guidance for when you’ve been fully vaccinated recommends that:
- Fully vaccinated people wear a face covering in indoor settings in areas of substantial or high transmission*.
- Fully vaccinated individuals who have a known exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 get tested after exposure and wear a face covering in public indoor settings for 14 days or until they receive a negative test result.
*The CDC’s online interactive map allows you to search for COVID-19 data by state and county and will note if your area is low, moderate, substantial or high.