Prepare to join the multibillion dollar advertising industry through App State’s unique, multi-track Advertising (BS) degree program. Whether you are interested in developing advertising strategy or the creative elements of an advertising campaign, the Advertising degree will prepare you for an ever-evolving and fast-paced career.
Program courses provide a foundational understanding of the field of advertising, media publishing, promotional video, social media strategies, research, professional ethics, international advertising and a thorough exploration of advertising campaigns.
As you progress through the program, you can choose either the Strategic Advertising or Creative Advertising emphasis:
- Strategic Advertising focuses on media planning, client development and services, and consumer insights.
- Creative Advertising focuses on graphic design, copywriting, video production and developing creative campaigns.
When you’re ready to launch your advertising career, you will be well prepared and equipped with an industry-specific professional portfolio.
Employment: Some of our alumni are employed by top agencies in the industry, including:
- Crispin Porter + Bogaski (CP+B)
- Leo Burnett
- Publicis Media
Graduate School: For some students pursuing a career in the creative side of advertising, it makes sense to attend a creative finishing school, such as Virginia Commonwealth University’s Brandcenter.
A minor is required for this degree.
Engagement Outside the Classroom
- AppTV offers a full range of original programming, produced by App State students.
- The Appalachian is App State’s student newspaper. Participation on the newspaper’s staff is open to full-time undergraduate and graduate students.
- Second Story Media, App State’s student-run communication agency, partners with university and community nonprofit clients to provide communication services.
- 90.5 WASU-FM — known as “The App” — is dedicated to bringing the best alternative rock music to the High Country and is operated by App State students and volunteer DJs.
Appalachian is committed to introducing students to different cultures and teaching them how to live and interact in a global society.
The Department of Communication has study abroad opportunities in China, England, Ireland, the Netherlands and Poland.
A cumulative 2.5 GPA based on earned semester hours at App State is required prior to declaring the Advertising major.
- Choose from two unique tracks of study: Strategic Advertising and Creative Advertising.
- Gain real industry experience by being part of Second Story Media, App State’s in-house, student-run communication agency.
- Participate in professional experiences such as field trips or internships at top companies and major advertising firms.
- Collaborate with faculty who have industry experience and agency connections.
- Study abroad — learn about global advertising and network with international advertising scholars and professionals.
- Connect with a strong and successful alumni network.
- It is possible to earn this degree fully online.
On campus or online
- Advertising Account Executive
- Advertising Copywriter
- Advertising Manager
- Advertising Media Planner
- Advertising Salesperson
- Art Director, Advertising
- Consumer Products Salesperson
- Corporate Designer
- Creative Director
- Electronic Publication Specialist Export Manager
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Graphic Artist
- Illustrator, Advertising
- Illustrator, Editorial
- Print Production Coordinator
- Promotion Coordinator
- Sales Representative
Dr. Kelly Davis