Are you passionate about creating ethical, responsible advertising messages? The Advertising (BS) degree at Appalachian State University will prepare you for careers in advertising agencies, small businesses, the media and internal communication departments of for-profit and not-for-profit organizations. You will learn from expert faculty with professional experience and can choose either a business or creative emphasis for your courses.
Upon completion, you will be career-ready with practical knowledge. The program is designed to assure you acquire the following skills:
- The knowledge required for critical and strategic thinking in the practice of advertising communications.
- The comprehension necessary to evaluate and practice advertising communications.
- The ability to integrate problem-solving skills that allow you to create advertising solutions.
- The understanding of advertising’s role in a globally integrated society.
The Department of Communication’s advertising major provides practical experience and networking as part of the learning process. Opportunities include annual participation in the American Advertising Federation national student competition, offering the chance to create and compete with your own advertising campaign for national brands, field trips to connect with industry leaders, and a China study abroad.
Employment: Some of our alumni are employed by top agencies in the industry including:
- Crispin Porter + Bogaski (CP+B)
- Leo Burnett
- Publicis Media
Graduate School: For some students pursuing a career in the creative side of advertising, it makes sense to attend a creative finishing school, such as Virginia Commonwealth University’s Brandcenter.
A minor is required.
Engagement Outside the Classroom
- Second Story Student Agency - a student organization that aspires to meet the communication needs of clients while providing meaningful experiences for student members.
- The Appalachian - This is the university’s newspaper run by students for students. It features an advertising department where students are paid on commission and learn how to sell advertisement opportunities to local businesses.
- WASU - Named mtvU’s college radio station of the year in 2012, WASU provides music and talk radio for students and the surrounding area. Students can become involved in the advertising side of the station by taking one credit hour class, completing six observation hours and passing the final exam.
- AppTV - The department’s cable television station gives students experience in television production and also provides internship opportunities.
Appalachian is committed to introducing students to different cultures and teaching them how to live and interact in a global society.
The Department of Communication has study abroad opportunities in Poland, China and Mexico.
There are no admission requirements beyond admission to Appalachian State University.
- It is possible to earn this degree fully online.
- This degree’s Program of Study allows students to tailor their course list for their individual career goals.
Example: a student wanting to focus on the creative aspect of advertising can choose classes in art and design, while a student focused on the industry’s business side can take more business classes.
- Faculty members’ industry experience deepens your connection to the industry and teaches the practical skills that complement theory.
- The Department of Communication offers an internship coordinator to help students find internship host sites and receive class credit for their work.
- The department has a strong alumni network that keeps alumni, faculty and current students connected.
- A specially designed China study abroad program for advertising students in which you will network with international advertising scholars and professionals and learn about global advertising while experiencing a different culture.
- Field trips where students gain access to industry leaders at corporations such as Lowe’s and Husqvarana as well as major advertising firms such as MullenLowe and Publicis.
Number of Students
Method of Delivery
On campus or online
- Advertising Account Executive
- Advertising Copywriter
- Advertising Manager
- Advertising Media Planner
- Advertising Salesperson
- Art Director, Advertising
- Consumer Products Salesperson
- Corporate Designer
- Creative Director
- Electronic Publication Specialist Export Manager
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Graphic Artist
- Illustrator, Advertising
- Illustrator, Editorial
- Print Production Coordinator
- Promotion Coordinator
- Sales Representative
Dr. Scott Welsh