Students majoring or minoring in the Computer Information Systems (BSBA) degree at Appalachian State University gain valuable professional skills and capabilities, enabling them to pursue a wide variety of technology-related careers. The CIS major teaches students how to successfully interface between the technical and management aspects within companies.
Through coursework, projects and internships, students develop the knowledge to serve as the vital bridge between business areas and IT. They will learn to work with networks, databases, web sites and integrated systems. Graduates possess a strong command of the methodologies, tools and techniques to build successful information systems. This accredited program is housed in the Department of Computer Information Systems in the Walker College of Business.
Employment: Recent employers include:
- Appalachian Regional Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC
- Blue Ridge Electric
- Cardinal Innovations
- Cisco Systems
- CITCO Fund Services
- Comdyn Group
- Duke Energy
- Eastman Chemical
- EKG Marketing
- Fidelity Investments
- Fleetnet America
- Grant Thornton
- NTT America
- Orasi Software
- Schaefer Systems International
- Sonic Automotive
- Versa Technologies
- Wells Fargo
- Zynergy Technology
Graduate School: Some students choose to stay and complete Appalachian’s MBA degree in one additional year.
A minor is not required.
Engagement Outside the Classroom
Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP): AITP allows students interested in Information Systems to get together for professional development and social purposes. AITP offers speakers on related topics, opportunities to meet and interact with professionals in the field (potential job contacts), and social gatherings with others of similar interests.
Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society: Membership in this group is the highest international recognition a student in business can receive in an undergraduate or master’s program at an AACSB accredited school.
Alpha Iota Mu campus chapter - an international honor society organized to recognize outstanding academic achievement in the field of information systems; open to CIS majors with a 3.4 or greater overall GPA who have taken at least one CIS core course.
CIS faculty have developed study abroad opportunities to countries such as Germany, Spain, China, Japan and Costa Rica to study computer information systems and observe the supply chain of commodities.
All business students fulfill an international requirement, and an increasing number choose to study abroad through a wide variety of exchange programs. The college maintains partnerships with universities across the globe and continues to expand groundbreaking opportunities in emerging markets.
Requirements for declaring a major within the Walker College of Business are detailed here.
- 99% of this program’s graduates are employed and/or enrolled in continuing higher education programs within six months of graduation.
- Projected growth for both Computer Information Systems careers is consistently growing (over 20% through 2020 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics), with entry level salaries among the highest of all business disciplines – averaging over $55,000 per year with median starting salaries of $60,000 excluding signing bonuses.
- Appalachian is one of only five universities in North Carolina authorized to teach the Cisco Networking Academy curriculum, with access to Cisco routers, switches and other equipment.
- Students can take IT Certification tests before they graduate, including Network+, Security+, CCNA, and CISSP.
- International, study abroad trips are offered by our CIS faculty. Previous classes have visited Germany, Spain, China, Japan, Costa Rica and others.
- Club competitions have taken students to the AITP National Collegiate Conference.
Number of Students
Method of Delivery
On campus only
Expected starting salaries from $50,000 - $70,000. Career options include the following:
- IT Project Managers
- Systems Managers
- Network Administrators
- Network Analysts
- Security Administrators
- Website Developers
- Systems Analysis & Design
- Systems Architects
- IT Auditor
- Systems Developers
- Program Analysts
- Systems Analysts
- Database & Analytical Modeling
- Database Administrators
- Business Analytics Specialist
- Entrepreneurial Tech Leaders
Dr. Scott Hunsinger