App State’s Fine Art Photography concentration educates students to think of photography as a visual language, providing them with the technical and formal skills they need in order to express their ideas, including darkroom techniques and alternative photographic processes.
Students integrate photography into a larger, interdisciplinary artistic practice through studio art electives and seminars and focus on developing a personal voice within the medium — all while examining how images function in contemporary culture.
Program graduates are prepared for numerous career paths, having gained a strong balance of technical skills, critical and conceptual thinking, and a broad knowledge of the medium of photography.Recent graduates have gone on to work for Rolling Stone magazine and Fender Guitars, as well as in arts organizations and galleries and in higher education institutions. Some graduates choose to pursue advanced degrees.
Visit the Department of Art website to learn more.
A minor is not required for this program.
App State is committed to introducing students to different cultures and teaching them how to live and interact in a global society.
Study abroad opportunities for Department of Art students include both short- and long-term programs. Learn more
There are no admission requirements beyond admission to Appalachian State University.
- Program faculty members have many years of professional experience and transfer this knowledge to students.
- A variety of departmental and major-specific scholarships, as well as work-study and internships opportunities, are available for students.
- Also, universitywide scholarships are available for first-year, continuing and transfer students.
- Through the department’s honors program, students pursue creative or scholarly research projects tailored to their particular interests and professional aspirations.
- Each student receives one-on-one academic advising from a program faculty member. Learn more
- Students can gain international experience through the department’s study abroad opportunities, including short- and long-term programs.
- No portfolio required for incoming first-year students.
- Photographer (portrait/wedding)