Insurance is a global industry that employs more than 2.3 million people in the United States alone. Jobs are available in risk management and insurance (RMI). In recent years the number of graduates from the nation’s RMI programs met only 10-15 percent of the industry’s needs.
Appalachian State University’s Risk Management and Insurance (BSBA) degree prepares you for a variety of professions within the greater risk and insurance field, including: general management, underwriting, claims, agency sales and operations, brokerage, surplus lines, risk management and reinsurance specialties. With so many career paths, potential work environments include office, home and field.
Appalachian’s Brantley Risk and Insurance Center was ranked 5th in Risk Management Magazine’s 2015 list of “The 10 Largest Risk and Insurance Schools.” The Center is committed to developing the finest insurance talent and involves students with industry professionals by arranging guest speakers, shadow days and travel opportunities including the Independent Insurance Association of North Carolina (IIANC) Conference and the annual Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS) Conference. The center also holds an extensive career fair twice a year, allowing students unparalleled access to employers regarding internships and full-time career opportunities.
Employment: Employers include:
- All Risks
- Auto Owners Insurance
- Banker’s Life & Casualty
- Key Risk
- Liberty Mutual
- National General
- State Farm
- XL Insurance
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.
A minor is not required. A popular double major, however, is Finance and Banking.
Engagement Outside the Classroom
Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS) – An international professional collegiate insurance organization sponsored by Brantley Risk and Insurance Center. It promotes, encourages and sustains student interest in insurance, risk management and actuarial science as a profession and facilitates the interaction and cooperation with industry and professional organizations.
Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society – Membership in this group is the highest international recognition a student in business can receive in an undergraduate or master’s program at an AACSB accredited school.
Appalachian is committed to introducing students to different cultures and teaching them how to live and interact in a global society.
All business students fulfill an international requirement, and an increasing number choose to study abroad through a wide variety of exchange programs. The college maintains partnerships with universities across the globe and continues to expand groundbreaking opportunities in emerging markets.
For this major, there are two study abroad options under the same course number:
- FIN 4800 – Students travel to Bermuda to meet with experts in the insurance profession, scientists studying climate change and the Bermuda Tourism Authority.
- FIN 4800 – Students travel to London’s financial district, home to many of the world’s largest insurers and reinsurers.
Requirements for declaring a major within the Walker College of Business are detailed here.
- This program has a 90 percent jobs placement.
- Students were 2014 “Insurance Jeopardy” champions, defeating East Carolina University and UNC Charlotte.
- More than $100,000 in scholarships was awarded in 2015-16.
- RMI Career Fairs are held each semester with 36+ organizations recruiting for interns and full-time positions.
- Seven Appalachian students have won the prestigious AAMGA “White Paper” award in the last seven years.
- Students were 2015 Spencer-RIMS Risk Management Challenge National Champions
- Brantley Risk and Insurance Center offers 25+ years of educating and preparing industry leaders.
- The Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance maintains strong corporate relationships, which benefit students during and after their college years.
Number of Students
Method of Delivery
On campus only
Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
Field Liability Claims Supervisor
Financial Managers, Branch or Department
Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage
Insurance Fraud Investigators Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
Life and Annuity Agent
Loss Control Consultants
Personal Financial Advisors
Real Estate Sales Agents
Dr. Chris McNeil
Dr. David Marlett
Brantley Risk and Insurance Center
Mr. Greg Langdon
Brantley Risk and Insurance Center