From the Watauga Academy of 1899 to the App State of today, the mission has remained the same: to provide access to education. This vision now extends to the Greater Hickory area.
At App State’s new Hickory campus, you’ll experience the same excellence that App State is known for — including small class sizes, high-quality student and faculty interaction and exciting undergraduate research opportunities.
You’ll be backed by the strength of the App State network, which includes expert faculty, supportive staff and more than 140,000 alumni worldwide ready to help you open doors to future opportunities.
Learn more about App State's Hickory campus at an upcoming Admissions event.
Services, scholarships and savings
On-site services will provide resources and support, including advisors dedicated to App State Hickory students, a library facility, health and counseling services, tutoring, success coaching, career development services, technical support, computer labs and more. Student clubs and organizations, recreation opportunities and leadership experiences will also be available on the Hickory campus. And, you’ll be able to take full advantage of any aspects of the student experience you’d like on the Boone campus as well, including Mountaineer Football games!
You’ll save money by earning your App State degree while living at home.
Living at home and earning your degree on App State’s Hickory campus can result in significant savings, as App State’s annual tuition and fees for North Carolina residents total just over $8,000.
Apply now for eligibility for the Hickory First scholarship!
$2,000 scholarships are available to the first 500 students who enroll at the campus for 2023. Learn more about the Hickory First scholarship.
Opportunity + Innovation
In fall 2023, more than 100 undergraduate majors will be available at the Hickory campus.
Whether you attend full or part time, or you’re beginning or continuing your four-year degree, enroll in one of our industry-relevant bachelor’s programs in Hickory — while saving on the usual college room and board costs.
- Actuarial Science
- Anthropology, BA
- Anthropology, BS
- Anthropology - Multidisciplinary
- Apparel Design and Merchandising
- Career & Technical Education - Agriculture Education
- Career & Technical Education - Business, Finance and Information Technology Education
- Career & Technical Education - Business, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Education
- Career & Technical Education - Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Career & Technical Education - Technology, Engineering and Design Education
- Career & Technical Education - Trade and Industry Education
- Career & Technical Education - Workforce Leadership & Development
- Child Development - Birth to Kindergarten
- Child Development - Family and Child Studies
- Communication Science and Disorders
- Communication Studies
- Community and Regional Planning
- Computer Information Systems - Cybersecurity
- Computer Information Systems - General Computer Information Systems
- Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice - International Studies
- Digital Journalism
- Economics, BSBA
- Economics - Environmental Economics and Policy
- Economics - General Economics
- Economics - International Economics
- Economics - Regional Economic Development
- Electronic Media/Broadcasting
- Elementary Education
- English - Creative Writing
- English - Film Studies
- English - Literary Studies
- English - Professional Writing
- English, Secondary Education
- Finance and Banking
- Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies
- Geography - General
- Geography - Geographic Information Systems
- Global Studies
- Health and Physical Education, K-12
- Health Care Management
- History - Applied and Public History
- History - Multidisciplinary
- History/Social Studies Education
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies - Individually Designed
- International Business
- Languages, Literatures, and Cultures - Spanish and Hispanic Studies
- Languages, Literatures, and Cultures - Spanish, Education (K-12)
- Management - General Management
- Management - Human Resources
- Management - Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Management - Sustainable Business
- Marketing - Digital Marketing
- Marketing - General Marketing
- Marketing - Sales
- Mathematics - Business
- Mathematics - Computation
- Mathematics - General Mathematics
- Mathematics - Life Sciences
- Mathematics - Physical Sciences
- Mathematics - Secondary Education Licensure
- Mathematics - Statistics
- Middle Grades Education - Language Arts and Mathematics
- Middle Grades Education - Language Arts and Science
- Middle Grades Education - Language Arts and Social Studies
- Middle Grades Education - Mathematics and Science
- Middle Grades Education - Mathematics and Social Studies
- Middle Grades Education - Science and Social Studies
- Nutrition and Foods - Dietetics
- Nutrition and Foods - Foodsystems Management
- Nutrition and Foods - Nutrition and Wellness
- Political Science
- Political Science - American Politics
- Political Science - International and Comparative Politics
- Political Science - Pre-Professional Legal Studies
- Political Science - Public Administration / Public Management
- Political Science - Public Administration / Town Administrator, City County Management
- Professional Studies
- Psychology - Business
- Psychology - Education Studies
- Psychology - Health Studies
- Psychology - Human Services
- Psychology - Natural Science
- Psychology - Social Science
- Psychology - Sustainability
- Public Health
- Public Relations
- Recreation Management - Commercial Recreation & Tourism Management
- Recreation Management - Outdoor Experiential Education
- Recreation Management - Recreation and Park Management
- Religious Studies
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Social Work
- Sociology (BA)
- Sociology (BS) - Applied Research Methods
- Sociology (BS) - Criminology
- Sociology (BS) - Families and Intimate Relationships
- Sociology (BS) - Individually Designed
- Sociology (BS) - Power and Social Change
- Sociology (BS) - Social Inequalities
- Sociology (BS) – Sociology of Health and Aging
- Special Education - Adapted Curriculum K-12
- Special Education - General Curriculum K-12
- Supply Chain Management
- Veterinary Technology
Degree completion may require that some courses be completed on the Boone campus or online.
Hickory Campus FAQs for New Mountaineers
Let us answer your questions! If you can’t find your answer here, please reach out to Monica Reed, Program Director for Parent and Family Services, at 828-262-7398 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When is new student orientation?
- Orientation will take place at the Hickory campus on August 10 and 16. You will only need to attend orientation on one of those dates.
Health and Wellness Services
What student health services are available on campus?
- Student Health Services will be staffed in person on Tuesdays from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Appointments can be made by calling 828-262-3100.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers short term one-on-one and group counseling. Let’s Talk drop in consultations, eating concerns program, prevention and outreach are also offered through CAPS. Students interested in counseling services are encouraged to schedule an initial consultation, in person or by phone, with our department to get started.
- CAPS is available to students Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm by appointment. Counseling staff will be available on the Hickory campus weekly on Tuesdays. Additionally, “Let’s Talk” drop in sessions will be offered weekly. For more information or to schedule an appointment please call (828) 262-3180.
What telehealth options are available?
- Both telehealth and telecounseling services are available through Student Health Services. Appointments can be made by calling 828-262-3180.
How will I be alerted in the event of a campus emergency?
- AppState-ALERT is the 24/7 emergency messaging system designed to provide timely information in the event of a campus emergency. Emergency notifications are distributed to students, faculty and staff members via text messaging, voice messaging, email and/or web. Register for AppState-ALERT.
Parking and Transportation
What does parking look like if I’m exclusively taking classes at the Hickory campus?
- If you are exclusively taking classes at the Hickory campus and WILL NOT need to come to the Boone campus any weekday between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., Hickory campus parking registration is required and the fee is waived for 2023-24.
- Register for Hickory campus parking at the Campus Services Express Desk located in the first-floor lobby of App State's Hickory campus.
What does parking look like if I’m taking classes at both Hickory and Boone campuses?
Student Recreation and Athletics
What recreation facilities do I have access to?
- You will have access to the recreation facility Monday through Thursday, from 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. and Friday, from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Will I have the same access to athletic tickets as Boone campus students?
- Yes, students in Hickory have access to tickets for all home games.
Dining and Food Options
What are the dining options while I’m on campus?
- Options include:
- A market where you can get snacks, sandwiches and other items.
- Grab-and-go vending.
- The Coffee Pedaler, a portable coffee station, which will be available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Dining dollars, campus cash and credit cards will be accepted.
Will there be a kitchen area where I can bring and prepare food?
- Yes, there will be access to a microwave.
Student Support Services
What library resources are available at the Hickory campus?
- App State’s Hickory Library and Information Commons will be open Monday - Thursday from 7:30 a.m. - 9 p.m. and Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- The Service Desk will be staffed Monday - Thursday from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Library services include:
- Bookable study rooms, including a family friendly study room
- Technology equipment rentals
- Borrowing and delivery from the library catalog – including materials from App State, UNCA and Western Carolina University libraries
- Live chat assistance from librarians
- In-depth reference and research assistance
- Print zone and tech help
What academic support services are available for students at the Hickory campus?
- The Student Learning Center offers resources for students who are seeking academic support and strategies for learning.
- Academic support services include:
Hours & Location
Open Monday through Thursday, from 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Friday, from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m..
800 17th St NW
Hickory, NC 28601