As the premier public undergraduate institution in the state of North Carolina, Appalachian State University prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The Appalachian Experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and to embrace diversity and difference. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Appalachian is one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina System. Appalachian enrolls more than 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
Dr. Sheri Everts serves as Appalachian’s chancellor. The university is governed by the university’s Board of Trustees and the University of North Carolina System’s Board of Governors.
Vision and Strategic Direction
Appalachian State University aspires to be the destination institution for dedicated students who seek challenging academic programs and cocurricular experiences, engaged faculty and a vibrant campus culture that will shape them into engaged, responsible global citizens. Inspired by the ideal of sustainable community, we seek to deliver the Southeast’s best comprehensive, progressive education.
Facts and History
Appalachian was founded in 1899. The pioneering spirit necessary to overcome the mountains’ hardships quickly characterized the institution, giving Appalachian a special niche in higher education that continues today. After more than a century, students still feel the pull of this unique place to transform their lives, and Appalachian has remained focused on providing students with educational experiences that are not only life-changing but world-changing.
University of North Carolina System of Higher Learning
Appalachian State University is one of 17 institutions in the University of North Carolina System.
At a Glance
Appalachian State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, master's, intermediate and doctoral degrees.
- 20,641 students
- 18,555 undergraduate (main campus and App State Online)
- 2,086 graduate (main campus and App State Online)
- 18.2% racially and ethnically underrepresented*
- 16:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- 25 — average class size
- 98% of full-time faculty have doctorate, first professional degree or other terminal degree
- 138,000-plus living alumni from all 50 states and many countries across the globe
- Undergraduate costs, 2020-21 academic year:
$15,555 in state
$31,162 out of state
(includes tuition and fees for 12+ credit hours, standard option meal plan, standard room and board, and most textbooks)
* Combined percentage of students who self-identify as Hispanic of any race; American Indian or Alaska Native; Black or African American; Asian; Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, Two or more races; or are Nonresident Alien. This percentage is taken from the total number of students who elect to report their racial and/or ethnic identities, as well as Nonresident Alien students. Actual counts may be higher, as some students choose not to report their race or ethnicity.
- U.S. News and World Report's 2021 rankings
- U.S. News and World Report's “Best Online Programs”
- Niche’s 2021 Best Colleges in America rankings
- The Princeton Review’s “2021 Best Regional Colleges”
- Money.com’s “2020-21 Best Colleges” ranking”
- Kiplinger's “Best Values in Colleges” for 2019
- Forbes' “America's Top Colleges 2019”
- VIQTORY (formerly known as Victory Media) Media's Military Friendly Schools®
- SIERRA magazine's “Coolest Schools” for 2020
- STARS® Gold rating for sustainability achievements
- Second Nature’s national Climate Leadership Award winner
- The Princeton Review's 2021 “Guide to Green Colleges”
- Open Doors 2020 report on the nation's top institutions for the number of students who study abroad
The Value of An Appalachian Degree
View in-depth information on employment rates, wages, and ongoing higher education enrollment of graduates from University of North Carolina system schools here: http://www.nctower.com/
Appalachian grads enjoy first destination success, whether they seek employment or graduate school after graduation.
Where can an Appalachian degree take you? Anywhere you want to go!
Why hire an App Grad? Hear what employers have to say.