Economics is the study of how people choose to use resources — such as people, land, property or knowledge. Government, business and the non-profit industry can all face complex problems related to resources, and economics majors can help solve them.
The Economics (BA) - Environmental Economics and Policy degree at Appalachian State University is a liberal arts-focused degree designed for students who prefer careers in government or non-profits with a focus on environmental issues. The program prepares students to analyze human behavior related to work, production, distribution and consumption, think logically and make good decisions for their employers. Classes at this department are small, professors give close attention and each student has opportunities for research. Like other BA degrees at App State, this major has a language requirement.
Employment: Most find jobs directly after graduating in governmental or non-profit sectors with a focus on environmental issues. Employers that consistently hired App State economics majors include Bank of America, Walmart, Hyatt, State Farm Insurance, Crowne Automotive, Pinehurst Resort, IBM, the U.S. Department of Labor and Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Graduate school: Economics majors go to graduate schools all over the U.S., but many choose the master’s program in economics at UNC Greensboro. Many graduates continue their education in the fields of law, MBA, finance and policy analysis.
A minor is required. It must be selected from the following: Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Geography, Anthropology, Appropriate Technology, Sustainable Development, other minors with the permission of the chairperson.
Many students also choose to pursue a second major in Sustainable Development.
Engagement Outside the Classroom
Economics Club — The Economics Club is App State’s student chapter of the National Association for Business Economics. Students interested in governmental, economic and social issues are encouraged to join the club, which provides a forum for discussion and socialization among students, faculty and guest speakers with similar interests.
Omicron Delta Epsilon — The international honor society in economics is open to undergraduates who have completed 15 semester hours of economics courses, maintain a “B” average and have a genuine interest in economics.
CERPA Undergraduate Research Scholars Program — Provides exceptionally capable and well-motivated students an opportunity to participate in all phases of social, economic and policy research under the supervision of a faculty advisor.
All business students fulfill an international requirement, and an increasing number choose to study abroad through a wide variety of exchange programs. The college maintains partnerships with universities across the globe and continues to expand groundbreaking opportunities in emerging markets.
Requirements for declaring a major within the Walker College of Business are detailed here.
- This is one of the world’s top programs in the fields of environmental economics, according to the prestigious worldwide organization Research Papers in Economics.
- Students find jobs directly after graduation, and this degree also provides a sound foundation for graduate study in law, business, and finance and policy analysis.
- In lieu of business core courses, students in this degree focus on a minor related to the environment.
- All students take the senior seminar, in which they conduct in-depth research and analysis of selected economic issues and make a presentation — just like professionals in the field.
- The Department of Economics maintains a seminar series with key figures in economics, including Noble Laureates, members of the Council of Economic Advisors and top academic economists.
- Business Career Services in the Truist Student Leadership Center offers consultation to all business majors on choosing a career, preparing for interviews and exploring internships and employment.
Boone and Hickory
- Economic Analyst
- Operations or Systems Specialist
- Government analyst or Statistician
- Management or Sales Professional
- Agricultural Analyst
- International Trade
- Health Care Analyst
- Investment Analyst
Dr. Dave McEvoy