Economics is the study of how people choose to use resources – such as people, land, property or knowledge. Government, business and the non-profit industry can all face complex problems related to resources, and economics majors can help solve them.
The Economics (BA) - International Economics degree at Appalachian State University is a liberal arts-focused degree designed for students who want careers in the field of economics overseas, perhaps in governmental or non-profit sectors. The program prepares students to analyze human behavior related to work, production, distribution and consumption, think logically and make good decisions for their employers. Classes in this department are small, professors give close attention, and each student has opportunities for research. Like other BA degrees at Appalachian, this major has a language requirement.
The Department of Economics also offers the Economics (BSBA) degree for students planning to work in the private, for-profit world of business.
Employment: Employers that consistently hired Appalachian graduates include Bank of America, Walmart, Hyatt, State Farm Insurance, Crowne Automotive, Pinehurst Resort, IBM, the U.S. Department of Labor and Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Graduate school: Students go to graduate schools all over the U.S., but many choose the master’s program in economics at UNC Greensboro.
Core courses include Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics, Business & Economics Statistics I, Intermediate Price Theory, Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory, Business Writing and Seminar in Economics, plus International Economics and International Macroeconomics.
A minor is required. The minor must be selected from the following: Chinese, French, German, Spanish, International Business, or other minors with the permission of the chairperson.
Engagement Outside the Classroom
Economics Club – Students interested in governmental, economic and social issues are encouraged to join the economics club. The club provides a forum for discussion and socialization with students, faculty and guest speakers with similar interests.
Omicron Delta Epsilon – The international honor society in economics is open to undergraduates who have completed 15 semester hours of economics courses, maintain a “B” average and have a genuine interest in economics.
CERPA Undergraduate Research Scholars Program – Provides exceptionally capable and well-motivated students an opportunity to participate in all phases of social, economic and policy research under the supervision of a faculty advisor.
All business students fulfill an international requirement, and an increasing number choose to study abroad through a wide variety of exchange programs. The college maintains partnerships with universities across the globe and continues to expand groundbreaking opportunities in emerging markets.
Requirements for declaring a major within the Walker College of Business are detailed here.
- Students find jobs directly after graduation, while this degree also provides a sound foundation for graduate study in law, business, and finance and policy analysis.
- In lieu of business core courses, students in this degree focus on a minor related to the international economics or a language.
- All students take the senior seminar, in which they conduct in-depth research and analysis of selected economic issues and make a presentation – just like professionals in the field.
- The Department of Economics maintains a seminar series with key figures in economics, including Noble Laureates, members of the Council of Economic Advisors, and top academic economists.
- The BB&T Student Leadership Center offers consultation to all business majors on choosing a career, preparing for interviews and exploring internships and employment.
Number of Students
Method of Delivery
On campus only
- Economic Analyst
- Operations or Systems Specialist
- Government analyst or Statistician
- Management or Sales Professional
- Agricultural Analyst
- International Trade
- Health Care Analyst
- Investment Analyst
Dr. Todd L. Cherry