The marketing industry has undergone a fundamental transformation as consumers and businesses increasingly shift their attention from traditional marketing media to digital media. Today, companies must connect with customers and other businesses through digital channels — such as websites, e-newsletters and social media — and adjust their marketing mix in order to succeed.
Despite digital marketing’s prevalence, research by the Harvard Business Review and industry consultants has found that only a small portion of companies feel they use social media effectively.
Appalachian’s Marketing (BSBA) – Digital Marketing degree helps fill this skills gap by preparing students for the business requirements of digital and social media marketing. Appalachian is one of the few universities in the countries to offer such a program and has partnered with companies to create this opportunity.
Employment: Because this is a skilled-based program, graduates transition into the workplace easily and are prepared to work in any industry.
Graduate school: Students also are prepared to pursue the emerging graduate programs in this field.
Many marketing students choose management or supply chain management in the Walker College of Business or public relations in the Department of Communication as a second field of study along with marketing coursework.
Engagement Outside the Classroom
- American Marketing Association – The largest marketing association in North America, this professional association is for individuals and organizations involved in the practice of teaching and study of marketing worldwide. The Appalachian chapter of AMA is the only professional marketing club on campus and is open to all majors.
- Google Online Marketing Challenge – A global competition in which college students use Google AdWords and Google+ to advertise a business or non-profit organization.
Appalachian is committed to introducing students to different cultures and teaching them how to live and interact in a global society.
All business students fulfill an international requirement, and an increasing number choose to study abroad through a wide variety of exchange programs. The college maintains partnerships with universities across the globe and continues to expand groundbreaking opportunities in emerging markets.
There are no admission requirements beyond admission to Appalachian State University.
- App State’s program is one of only a few that combines digital and social marketing, mobile marketing, analytics and cloud marketing — a mix that places students at a competitive advantage among their peers and in the workplace.
- Students benefit from projects guided by professional mentors; participation in digital marketing, social media, mobile marketing competitions; internships; and employer relationships.
- Appalachian’s marketing students frequently compete in regional and national events, such as the American Marketing Association, Google or other brands’ digital marketing competitions.
- Expert faculty members and industry practitioners collaborate to provide functional business knowledge and practical application of digital marketing principles.
- Experiential learning with classroom projects simulates internships and enhances students’ resumes and personal brand.
- The Business Career Services at the BB&T Student Leadership Center offers consultation to all business majors on choosing a career, preparing for interviews and exploring internships and employment.
- Appalachian’s marketing students frequently compete in regional and national events, such as the National Collegiate Sales Competition.
- The Department of Marketing and Supply Chain Management offers a minor in digital marketing for non-business majors.
Boone and Hickory
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Digital Marketing Specialist
- Content Marketing Manager
- Digital Marketing Analyst
- Social Media Marketing Manager
- Digital Marketing and Strategy Specialist
- Digital Transformation Specialist
James E. Stoddard